Sunday, February 5, 2012

Deactivate.

I have made a decision to deactivate my facebook account for a while. So far this is just a trial period, if I like it then I won't reactivate it. If I don't like it then I can reactivate it and have everything back to the way it was. There are a few reasons why I decided to deactivate my fb account.
The main reason that I decided to deactivate my account was because of a realization that I had due to an experience that I had Friday at school. Friday was my viola professors birthday. A couple of other viola players planned all these things for us all to do for her for her birthday. A lot of us decorated her door and then there was a party planned for her during our studio class with cake and sparkling cider and a rendition of Happy Birthday in the Viennese Classical style. Super awesome. I was really excited about it and wanted to be a part of it. I show up to studio class almost 5 min early where they were going to play Happy Birthday with all the violists at BSU and find out that they decided not to wait for everyone. They were halfway through Happy Birthday when another violist and I walked in. Class hadn't even started yet. We were early. One of the girls that planned it all is a really good friend of mine and I didn't expect her to leave me out. I have had a hard time fitting into this group of people all four years that I have been at BSU and the very people that are supposed to be my friends continue to leave me out. They made an effort to include me with the decorating and stuff but I couldn't make it and they had given me the music to the Happy Birthday arrangement but when it came down to it they didn't include everyone. I'm sure that it was an innocent mistake and that they didn't mean anything by it but I can't help but wonder if these people are really people that care about me. I'm not upset about what happened anymore. I was upset when it was happening (understandably so) but they probably didn't mean to leave anyone out. It was a little hurtful though. I wouldn't do that to any of my friends. But anyway, back to the real reason I am talking about this. This experience made me realize that casual friends really aren't all that important. It's good to have friends but the ones that matter are the ones that will keep in touch with you whether or not you are on facebook or going to school with them or whatever. They will make the effort to keep talking to you and keep in touch despite how infrequently they see you because they care about you more deeply because they have taken the time to develop that sort of relationship with you. A lot of the friends that I have made at BSU are ones that, after I graduate, will move on with their lives and probably not think about me much. And that's ok. I have my family, my best friends in the world and the people that will be my friends forever. And I have friends that I have made that I have become close with throughout the years that I will always to be close to. My best best friends. I can count them on one hand. I have lots of "friends" but I only have a handful of friends that are the type that I will talk to and stay friends with forever and that care about me deeply and I care about them deeply. Not that if any of my casual friends came back into my life 1o years later I wouldn't be their friend anymore, because I would. But only a select few people have actually taken the time to get to know me and develop a relationship and keep it up. I am happy with my close friends and I will continue to be friends with the people that aren't my close friends but are still good people and fun to associate with. I just made the realization that the people that I keep up with on Facebook are of the type (mostly) that don't even know me all that well and wouldn't be in my life were it not for Facebook. I don't need the extra noise in my life when I am happy with my family and my friends that I have offline.
The other reason that I decided to get rid of Fb is that it is pretty much a waste of time. I have too much to do as it is and I need to simplify my life. And that's one thing that I have control of that I can to do to make my life a little more simple.
So, for those of you that are reading this and were my friends on Fb, I can be found here, or through phone. No more fb for me for a while. I think I like it this way :)

4 comments:

  1. I have been tempted to get rid of my facebook again and again. One of these days I might. Good luck to you!

    - Erika Shirk. Fb friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good For You, Rylee! I never opened up a Facebook Account because the only people that would be on there were people from High School that didn't like me then, & I don't want them involved in my life now. I feel the same way you do, if you want to talk to me make, then you need to make an effort, it works both ways, plus you don't need the extra drama in your life right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deactivated mine a while back because of te watse of time aspect, but then realized there were certain people I was neglecting when it came to updating them on the kids like my grandpa and such. For some reason I suck at blogs and e-mail but a quick upload on FB was easy. I did go through and narrow my friends down to family and people I m closer to. I hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Do whatever is best for you. I got on facebook to connect with family who facebook and nothing else. I've reconnected with old friends and strengthened friendships from junior high and high school that weren't there before. The best one was reconnecting with a family I taught on my mission! But I do have to watch for that time wasting factor.

    ReplyDelete