The day before school started Kuna School District hired me to be over all the strings for the district. That means that I direct the 7th grade, 8th grade, and high school orchestras and teach a 7th grade guitar class. I really enjoy it, most days. Yesterday was a really bad day, I'm struggling with a lack of respect from my high school orchestra, I think that they think that because I'm young that they can push the limits and there will be no consequences but that just isn't quite the case. I need to be more firm with my policies and give out detention in accordance with the policies that they are all aware of and not be such a softie. I really don't like giving out detentions and being that really strict teacher but the problems we are having in class are making our little amount of rehearsal time not as productive and we can't afford the loss of time.
I may or may not go back to teaching after the baby is born. I have been toying around with keeping one class that would make it so that I'm only teaching around 3 hours a week and then letting them find someone else to do the rest. There are scheduling conflicts anyway, so they really need two people to do the job anyway. Right now I am teaching about 30 hours a week and that would be way to much to try to handle with a newborn.
This job is the main reason that my posting has been sparse, aka nonexistent. After working 30 hours a week and doing all the housework I am too tired to do much else.
Tyler is doing well. He has been doing well at work and received a good sized bonus, which is great with having a baby coming soon and a house payment. His boss and his boss's wife and toddler visited Boise a couple weekends ago and we went to the Boise Zoo with them and had a really great time. It was fun to hang out with them outside of work and get to know them a little better. His boss lives in Kallispell Montana so we don't see them very often.
Tyler started graduate classes at the University of Idaho this semester and is doing well with that. It's been hard to manage work, school, family time, church calling, and working on the things that need done with our house but everything is working out alright :) He is taking an advanced engineering math class and is learning a lot. It is a challenging class for him. He was also recently called to be the secretary in the Young Men's organization at church. This will be really fun for him I think and he's pretty excited about it. He loves scouting and all the stuff that goes along with that and is excited to be a part of that with the YM and be able to go on all the hikes and camp-outs with them. I haven't been given a calling yet, which is fine with me since the baby will be here soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment