Sunday, May 29, 2011

Who Wants to Read About Us Anyway?

I mean, come on! We can't be that interesting. We don't have jobs, or kids. I'm not really sure why I even started this blog! Maybe someone would want to read about us. Maybe, just one person. Yeah, that's right. At least one person would enjoy reading about our not so eventful lives. I guess we've had a couple exciting things lately. Two. Maybe three.
First off, my husband is now the proud owner of a piece of paper that says he's completed all the awful course work to receive a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering. That's pretty exciting. Graduation. We sent out announcements and had a big shin dig after the ceremony. We even had family come to town. Tyler's parents were able to make it and my parents and sisters were down for the weekend as well. We had a really nice time together. My Grandma Gillette helped out a lot with getting the stuff for the party ready. Cut the veggies and fruits and stuff. I baked. A lot. Cinnamon rolls, a wonderful Inside Out German Chocolate Cakeand the Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies ever. It was pretty awesome. Not to toot my own horn or anything.
Tyler's mom brought him a couple cool gifts for graduation:
An Ireland shirt, Ty served his mission in Ireland.
And a couple really nice dress shirts and ties:

This is all the degree recipients walking into where they will be seated for the ceremony:
This is the cool glitter stuff they threw right before everyone walked out:
Me and Linnie and my sisters before graduation:
Tyler really appreciated all the support he had from everyone who helped and came to the ceremony and his party. He is really glad to be done and not have to go to school or do anything like that for a long time. Now is the fun part: job hunting. Not! He has had a couple interviews. He has interviewed with the Navy Corp of Engineers, we were supposed to hear from them around the beginning of May about whether or not he got the job but here we are at the end of May and still no news. And his recruiter has fallen off the face of the earth. Tyler has tried to call and email and it's been days and we haven't received a reply. Don't worry. I'll let you know as soon as we find anything out.
Tyler had an interview with a company called Trane. It was a Sales Engineering position and they sell Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) equipment. Their interviewing process was exhausting. He had two phone interviews. And if you get past those then they fly you down to Salt Lake City for another interview, all expenses paid by them. Then after that they have a short follow up phone interview. Tyler made it through all of the stages of their interview process, flew down to SLC, did the exit interview and everything. Well, he didn't get the job. And they emailed him to let him know. You think after all the stuff they put him through in the interviewing process that they could have at least had the decency to call him and tell him what was going on. Anyone else think that's a little tacky? Totally. Anyway, we are over that. (Well, he is. I still think it was stupid.) But he has other options. He has an interview with Republic Services/Allied Waste sometime this week. It's a job in Boise, so we wouldn't have to move. The company handles garbage/recyclable materials. He would be training to be a supervisor for the company. Supervisor of what? Good question. I have no idea. Not sure though, more details to come.
I've not had quite as much excitement at Tyler has. I had a hard semester, I worked my tail off and got straight A's. This is my first time getting a 4.0 in college. I'm kinda surprised that it turned out that way, but after all, I did work really hard and I earned it. I'm so glad that the semester is over. It was a rough semester. I gave my junior degree recital on viola. Kind of a big deal. I have to give two recitals all by myself in my undergraduate career and this was one of them. Then after that I had to turn around and learn new music (which I will eventually play on my senior recital) to play for my jury at the end of the semester. A jury is where you go and play for all the professors in your area. They decide whether you can change levels (100-200-300-400) and partially determine your grade in your private lessons on your instrument for the semester. Also a big deal. This semester I was going for my last level change. From 300 level to 400. It was really hard to turn around after giving a recital and learn new music and play it well enough that my professors thought that I was doing well enough to be able to advance to the 400 level on my lessons. In order to graduate I have to have two semesters at the 400 level. I only have two semesters left. That means that if I didn't pass my jury and get my level change that I would not graduate on time. But I got it :) I'm at the 400 level and I will graduate on time. I don't have very much left, I only need between 20 and 25 credits to graduate. I'm right on track to finishing my degree in four years. All I have to do is keep working hard and practicing and passing my classes. Shouldn't be a problem.
Other than that I have been doing some crafts. I got some fabric and I'm going to make myself a dress. I'm going to make this dress:
With this material:I'm so excited! I've also been making necklaces. When I was at the store getting the fabric to make the dress I found some really cool pendants and made necklaces with them.
These are the ones that I made:





And, I cut three inches off my hair:
We started our first garden for this season.
Broccoli:
And tomatoes:

Cute hubby gardener :)
This is the longest blog post ever, I know. I'll wrap it up quickly. We pretty much just hang out. We go to the gym every day and then play tennis, roller blade, go on a walk and other things like that. We like being outside. It's been hard lately though because it's been rainy in Boise.
I'll be sure to update frequently and let you all know what is going on in our lives :)



No comments:

Post a Comment