On January 6th Tyler graduated from Officer Candidate School and earned his commission as an Ensign in the U.S. Navy at the Officer Training Command in Newport, Rhode Island. It was such an impressive ceremony, the military precision of it all was breathtaking. It's really moving to be in a room with so many people that are making a huge sacrifice for the country they love so much. The patriotism was palpable, you could feel it everywhere. Even in the audience, many members of which had sacrificed and supported their loved ones so much so that they could do this great service for their country and it's citizens. One of the main speakers was Rear Admiral Nancy Norton who gave a moving speech with the main points being to be loyal to your family and make meaningful connections with your comrades in the Navy. I was impressed with how much she mentioned the family and to always be loyal and good to them above all. Her speech very much felt like a talk we would have heard at our church but, though from her words I am sure she is a Christian, I'm sure she is not of our faith. Tyler's parents and I were able to be present for the ceremony, I was very grateful to my Grandma Gillette and Rachael who took my kids for me so that I could go without having to worry so much about if they were noisy or upset during the ceremony. They wouldn't have remembered it anyway and it's so expensive to fly the whole family over there. It was a wonderful blessing to be with Tyler for this special occasion.
Pre ceremony:
Marching into the room:
Waiting to be seated:
Taking their oath to defend the Constitution:
Waiting for his name to be read:
Saluting each of the officers after being handed his certificate:
Returning to his seat:
The officers on stage:
OCS Class 04-17B
Tyler and me:
Tyler and his parents:
Tyler and Ensign Yung:
Tyler and Ensign Kyler (who was also one of his hatch-mates (roommates) )
No comments:
Post a Comment