Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Craziness of BSU Chamber Music Camp

The past few days have been really crazy. I've been working at the BSU Chamber Music Camp. Volunteering, really. I probably won't get paid, unless they miraculously have extra money. Fat chance of that. But that's ok, it's so much fun that it doesn't matter :). And I've already been offered a job to work there next summer by the director of the camp himself. Can't complain too much :) Monday was the craziest of the three days. I spent thirteen hours at the Morrison Center doing whatever Mr. Purdy or Mr. Brown asked. I did things like grade theory tests, make copies, coach small ensembles, play games with the kids, move around furniture, take pictures, play in the orchestra and take the kids to dinner. I just did whatever I was told. One time Monday night Mr . Brown asked me to get all the kids to go to this room and get their instruments and bring them to this other room. Well, I didn't want to tell each of them individually to do that, so I yelled really loud and put on my "authoritative" voice and got them to do just that. I'm 5' 2" but I pack a punch! Those kids were dead silent. And my coworkers were cheering. Yeah, that was pretty fun.
I got the nicest compliment from the orchestra director's wife ( who is also my fabulous accompanist) today. She said that Mr. Purdy keeps talking about what a big help I am and that he even talked to the director of the camp about how he wanted me to be on staff next year. Hence, the job offer from Mr. Brown. Another funny thing, one day Mr. Brown complimented me on the necklace that I was wearing (one of the ones that I made and posted pictures of) and every day since then he has not only noticed my necklace but also pointed it out to someone else and told them that I made it. He just might be the coolest band director ever. And the fact that he has the kids play games with stuffed animals makes him even cooler.


Thank you Mr. Brown.

Two last things. One: we are moving in a week. Yes, you read correctly. One week. Craziness! So ready to be out of this apartment. Two: Tyler didn't didn't get that job he interviewed for a couple weeks ago but he does have another interview. Not for an engineering job though. Sad face. At least it's something. And that's much better than nothing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment