About seven weeks ago I hurt my hand while I was working backstage for the Morrison Center. My friend and I were pushing the nine foot grand piano to a spot where you normally wouldn't have the piano. While we were doing so, my hand got caught between a metal reinforced corner of a wall and the two thousand pound piano on wheels. It swelled really bad and I ended up going to the ER that night to make sure that it wasn't broken.
Here are some pictures of my hand throughout this process.
This is at the ER the night that it happened. My left hand, the one on the right in the picture, is all swollen and puffy near my thumb.

This is a couple days afterwards. The swelling was so bad that I couldn't wear my wedding ring for about a week and a half.


This next one is two weeks later. I had new bruises show up two weeks to the day. And yes, all of this is real.

This is a little over two and a half weeks later:

This is how it looks now:

You can see some residual wanna-be bruises. Two weeks ago it started feeling like it wasn't really getting much better so I told the doctor I was seeing and they referred me to a guy for hand therapy. They didn't really do much as far as exercises go, they thought that my strength and range if motion were good but it was mainly just hurting still. They found this spot that I'd they pressed on it and then moved my wrist side to side then it would click really badly. They think this is because either I damaged a ligament or broke one of the small bones in my wrist and the particular bone that they think I fractured wouldn't really have been visible on the X-ray. So, they have me immobilizing it in a wrist splint for a while :(

I can't really play my viola much, which has been really hard for me. I used to practice three to four hours a day and play in rehearsals for an additional two hours a day. Now I'm just playing in rehearsals and lucky if I can practice for thirty minutes in a day. I have been really sad about not being able to practice as much as I want to or should. Hopefully I will be able to practice again soon.
Everything else is going well :) more updates again soon, I promise it won't be as long this time :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod
Oh my! That looks terrible!! I hope it heals up soon! Glad to see your doctor knows what's best ;) Rest sometimes is the only way to heal and injury like that. Here's to a SPEEDY recovery!!
ReplyDelete